Saturday, June 7, 2008

Red light Green light

I have came up with the "New" method of discipline around our home. Owen's Preschool teacher did something similar at school and it really seemed to work. This is how it works. Both the kids have a car with their name on it. They will start each day with their cars on the green light. If I have to ask them more than once to stop doing something, or if they are not obeying their car will move to the yellow light, if they are still being bad their car will move to the red light. They will still be able to redeem themselves throughout the day and get back to the green light however, at the end of each day they will get 2 stickers if they are on the green light, 1 sticker for the yellow and no stickers for the Red. After they fill up the card with stickers they can pick a prize. I prob sound like the meanest mom but I am sick of telling them no a million times a day. I really think it will work for Owen, Ethan on the other had is going to live on the red light,not only because he doesn't understand but because he is the biggest antagonizer, stubborn child I know. He will do something just because you told him not too. I love him dearly but he is giving me gray hair.
So here are the the cars I took them up to Kinko's and got them laminated and I put Velcro on the back so it will stick to the stop light. Here is the stop light. If you noticed Ethan is on the Green light, only because he is taking a nap give a couple of hours that will have changed :)
Wish me luck, We will see if it works!!

9 comments:

bekki said...

Good Job. I think you are right on the money. It's hard in the summer time to keep yur kids entertained and not have them fight all the time. Poor little Ethan he is so cute leave that sweet little boy alone.

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Such a great idea. I hope that you will get a little more sanity out of it!

Tara said...

That is a good idea. I need to come up with some idea also. My kids would be on the red light probably 99.9% of the time. It is going to be a long summer!! Can't wait until August. I will only have Savannah home and the other 2 will be at school all day!!! I know that sounds mean but I am already going crazy!

Lynsey said...

That sounds like a good idea, can you use that on husbands!! J/K

Jenni said...

Okay, what a GREAT idea! I'm pretty sure that Max will be permanently stuck on the red, also. You are such a GREAT mom. And, I have yet to see Ethan as the "antagonizer". Good job, Mel! :)

Amber said...

What a cute idea. Ethan sounds exactly like Jacey. She's too much like Thad, enough said :-)

Shauna said...

great idea. let me know if it works, i've totally run out of ideas for maddie...it's a hopeless situation as far as i'm concerned...and she's only 3 (almost!) call soon. love ya

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! You are a genius Melanie! I like that it is really positive and it allows your boys to earn back their green light. Way to go MOM!!!!!

Karlee said...

That sounds like a good idea! The little cars are so cute! Good luck!