Thursday, April 17, 2008

What a Relief


As some of you know we have had some medical problems with Owen over the last few months. It all started in January when I was noticing Blood in his Urine. We took him into the Doctors and over the last four months they have done a series of test on him to try to find the problem. At one point his urine had so much blood in it it looked like fruit punch. That night we ended up in the ER were they did blood work, urine tests, ultrasounds of his kidneys, gallbladder, spleen, liver and what ever other organ they could get a hold of and luckily everything came back OK, but the blood was still there. My pediatrician sent us to a urologist who suggested we get a cystoscopy done where they go up through his Pee Pee and look to see if they find a problem. My Pediatrician told us to hold off because it is such an invasive test he didn't want it to to be done unless it was necessary, he told us to watch for the next month and see if the blood is still there, sure enough it was. I toke him back to the Doctor on Friday and he said that we should get the test done because he shows the signs of Bladder Cancer!! WHAT back up the truck did you say CANCER? This is my precious little 4 year old there is no way he could have that. Well as you can imagine I was a wreck all weekend, of course this news has to be given on a Friday. I stressed, I cried, I prayed my heart out, and I freaked out about this all weekend. Monday morning I talked to the Urologist and they scheduled the procedure to be done the next day which was Tuesday. Tuesday morning we took Owen done to Phoenix Children's Hospital to get this done. We spoke with the Doctor before the procedure and I told him was the pediatrician had said a bout the "C" word, he told us that he specializes in tumors in children and that he was in good hands. The outcome couldn't have been better. Owen actually had a piece of skin internally that covered a portion of his urethra so when he peed the urine would hit the skin and over time it became irritated and torn hence that is where the blood was coming from. The doctor cut off the skin and cauterized it and he said he should be good as new, he said everything else looked perfect. If I wasn't afraid of pulling a muscle or hospitalizing myself I would have done a cart wheel.


I learned a really big lesson this past weekend. We were faced with something that was very scary for our family, I felt helpless there was nothing I could do to make it go away. I found myself praying more, reading my scriptures more, I even wrote in my Journal. Why is it that when we are faced with a trail we do these simple things with dedication when they are things we should be doing anyways? I know the Lord will not give us a trial we cant handle at the time it was questionable if I could or not but I learned from it and I believe I am a better person because of it. I felt closer to my Heavenly Father and my Family because of it. I am so grateful that my little Owen is okay, the thought of something so horrible happening to someone so helpless and young was so sad to me. My Grandmother just fought Cancer and it was such a scary sad time. My heart goes out to all those people who have loved ones who are sick. There is nothing harder that seeing your own child in pain. Thank you to all of your prayers, phone calls, thoughts and Aimees yummy dinner. I have a great family and great friends we wouldn't have made it through this with out you. We love you Owen and are so glad you are better and we love all of you thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!!

6 comments:

Taya said...

Thank goodness! I completely understand what you said about doing all of the things you are supposed to more when you are faced with trials. I need to be better about doing those things ALL of the time. NOT, just now when things are tough...

I am VERY glad it all worked out and can imagine how scary that would have been for you to wait to hear he was okay.

Have a good night, it sounds like it will be!!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Hallel-freakin-lulia! I am glad you wrote about it. I know. When things are tough, we all try to revert back to doing the things we know bring us peace! Thank goodness you know what to do, to bring that closeness to your marriage and family during those times. I am guessing you got some rest then?

Lynsey said...

I am so grateful everything is ok with Owen, that was a scary time. But Im glad it was a quick fix nothing to serious. (I wonder how common that is? Did you ask?)

Love you Owen!!

See it Try it Love it said...

Wow that is too crazy. I am so very glad that everything turned out so great. Owen is such a special boy I am so glad he is ok. How true that it is easier to do those things when we are faced with trials, hopefully this can be a lesson for all of us to do it faithfully.

Anonymous said...

What in the heck! I can't believe you were going through all that! How scary. I am so glad that everything turned out so well in the end. Ethan is such a sweet little boy and I am sooooooo happy he is all better.

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad your sweet Owen is OK.