Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The day I hoped would NEVER come

Grandpa & Grandma Adams I have been so blessed to be able to have all 4 of my grandparents be such a big part of my life for so many years, well that all changed in a matter of minutes. Last Friday night I found out that my Grandpa Adams had a massive heart attach. They weren't sure what the outcome was going to be. The hospital promised they wouldn't take him off life support until his family got there. So last Saturday me and my sisters, brother, and Mom drove to Ogden Utah and my Dad took a flight to get to there as soon as possible. We drove until about 4am and was too tired to go on so we stayed in a hotel in Beaver and took a 4 hour nap and continued on the next morning. We some how turned a 12 hour drive into 24 hours I am not sure what took us so long but we were glad to finally be there. We didn't know what we would see and what condition my grandpa would be in. I am going to keep a lot of details private out of respect to my Family. I will tell you that the time I spent with my Grandpa was priceless. It was the quite moments holding his hand, kissing his cheeks, and praying he would make it out of this will be forever imprinted in my mind. Grandpa was unable to speak but he responded in so many other ways, he would squeeze our hands, he would look into our eyes, he would try to reach for us and he even cussed a little, what joy it brought us all. Grandpa was with us. The doctors told us he was breathing on his own, his heart was beating on his own but that his brain and body weren't functioning together. The doctors were unsure of his condition and said it could take weeks. On Tuesday we decided to drive home. Friday (Oct. 3) morning Grandpa passed away. I believe Grandpa waited to pass on until his family could see him and say our goodbyes. I am grateful for the time I spent with him just days previous , I had closure with grandpa and knew that he was going to in a better place, but still the news was so devastating. The thought of not being able to see him, or talk to him in this life is so sad. I loved my grandpa, he was such a great man. He was a great Grandpa. I have many fond memories of him that I will cherish for always. I am grateful that I have the gospel in my life and that I know I will be able to see him and hug him again. What a great reunion that will be. I flew back up to Utah on Sunday night for the funeral. It was beautiful. My Grandma did a wonderful job of planning it. Lucky for her my Grandpa had it all done for her, the program, the Obituary, and the speakers which made it easy for grandma. Here are some pictures
Grandpa's Program, if you look close the Pallbearers are his Grand kids 7 girls and 1 boy. Oh my poor brother.

His Obituary
Grandpa
This is my family, Grandma & Grandpa (minus 4 son in laws and 9 grand kids our great husbands were at home taking care of them)
Aunt Gaylynn and her family with Grandma & Grandpa
Yeap, we did it, we kicked off our shoes, slipped down the wet grass and placed him in his resting place. I am sure he was looking down watching us he probable laughed a little but most of all I think we made him proud!!
When I first hear that we were the Pallbearer's I was so nervous, but what an honor it turned out to be. The Bishop conducting said that over the past 4o years he has never seen woman Pallbearers but how special it was.
L to R, Front to Back Lucy, Lynsey, Angie, Me, Stacy, Sophie, Grace, Jason and the funeral directors on the front and back to make sure we didn't drop GrandpaJason, Me, Lynsey, Stacy, Angie
My Sisters and Brother

The whole clan. Grandma with her kids, & grand kids
My Dad and Aunt kissing Grandma

This has to be my favorite pictureAunt Gaylynn, Grandma, Dad
The family with Grandpa
What a beautiful funeral it turned out to be. My Dad and Aunt did such a great job speaking, I know grandpa was looking down with a smile proud of each and everyone of us. It was so great to see my Aunt and her family they live in Texas so it had been 8 years since we had seen them it was at my grandparents 5o th wedding anniversary party. It was so fun to spend time with them. My Grandma is an amazing woman what an example she was to all of us. She is the rock in this family. Experiencing death has made me evaluate my own life and relationships. Life is so precious and can be taken from us with out a single warning. I am so grateful for all the people who helped Stewart with my kids, for the phone calls and text messages, they might have seemed small to you but meant the world to me. Stewart has received the Husband of the month award he has been amazing. He has helped me through this and has put up with and taken care of his crazy wife . I love you Honey!!

I love you Grandpa, and miss you deeply. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for all the memories I have of you not only has a child but as an adult. You are a wonderful grandpa and great grandpa to my boys. I look forward to the day I will see you again with your arms stretched open ready for a hug. Until then I hope I see you in my dreams!!

9 comments:

bekki said...

You did a great tribute to your Grandpa I'm sure he would be proud of you

Kristen said...

Mel- I am so sorry for you and your families loss. That was such a sweet tribute to your grandfather, and I am sure that he is a very happy man to be where he is at this time. You are so very lucky to have had him apart of your life for so many years. I am waiting for the day to come where I am able to see my grandparents again. What an important part of our lives they are to us!! Please let me know when we can plan a time to get together, (i would even make a trip out there if that's what it means). I have totally missed you throughout the years!!

Gpa and Gma Adams said...

Thanks Honey, It was a special time. Love, Mom & Dad :(

Shauna said...

Mel, i'm so sorry to hear...call me so we can chat. i love you. me

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Melanie. Your Grandpa sounds like he was an amazing man. You said such wonderful things about him and I know he is watching you from Heaven and is just so happy that you are his. Love you girlie!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

I am so happy that you were able to be there, and that you were able to see Jason, and spend time with him, as a family. What a sad time, but I am so happy tht the experience was so positive!! Aren't we lucky to know what we do?!!

Taya said...

I'm sorry Melanie. I had my Nana pass away last year (the first of my grandparents) and I miss her everyday. I cry even hearing about your loss, because I miss her and know that you will miss him just as much. BUT, I too am thankful for knowing I'll see her again. It takes the edge off!

Unknown said...

Sorry about your loss. What a sweet tribute to his life you just wrote and what a great journal entry to have later on for your boys.

haley said...

Mel, I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope you and your family are doing well. I will call you soon. Blogs have kindof made personal contact a little sparse!