Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In Search for....

I have lost my sweet, innocent 4 year old.


I don't know what happened to him don't get me wrong what is in his place I love just as much in fact I think a little more. About 6 months ago Owen kept asking us for a bigger bike, one without training wheels, if you remember I did a post on it awhile back. What I didn't tell you in that post is what happened while in the store, it went something like this.


Owen running around the bike section starring down each one to find the perfect bike when Stewart announced that he found what he thought was the perfect bike. I on the other hand that it was a little big for him. Stewart kept saying that it would be perfect he would be able to ride it for a long time and that it has plenty of room to grow into. It was a 22 inch folks. I think he thought we were there to by a bike for him to ride when he was 10yrs. not one for him to ride now!! To put it into perspective the one that he was riding before was a 12 inch. I finally talked him down to a 20 inch which I still thought was a little big but decided to give in cause it wasn't worth the fight. Well we brought that bike home, Stewart took off the train wheels and Owen rode it maybe twice. He couldn't even touch the ground when he was on his seat, he was scared to get on it because every time he did he would fall off so that stupid bike has had a permanent spot in the garage for about 6 months. Owen has been riding the 12 inch with training wheels ever since. I think he started feeling the pressure from his friends and the other night asked Stewart to take the training wheels off. He took off like a pro. Sunday night we went on a bike ride as a family and Owens poor little legs were goes as fast as possible but it was like he wasn't moving. By the end of the ride he was saying " I need a bigger Bike" which he did he looked like a clown on that tiny bike. So Monday after noon we took him back to the store and got him a 16 inch which is perfect for him. Stewart wouldn't even let it leave the store with the training wheels on it. He went and got a wrench in the tool section and took them off right then can we say W.T. Anyways Owen is enjoying having riding around on a bike that actually fits him, and Honey I wont say I told you so!! At least not today :)
So you ask why I am in search for my sweet, innocent, fearful 4 year old? Well that's because he some how got replaced by a 5 year old Kindergarten who cruises around the neighborhood on 2 wheels (as Owen would say)
jumping curbs, rocks, shoes and what every else gets in his way yelling "Yeah Baby" or "Sweeeeettt". He is worried about what he wears and sometimes even wants pokie hair (translation spiky gel hair) I love that he is getting more confident and brave. Its amazing what a little peer pressure can do , and at least its good pressure right. We can thank Rhett for that!!

Owen I love the little personality that you have you keep us laughing everyday. I love you!!

6 comments:

bekki said...

Isn't is so sad when they start to grow up. I love the new bike he looks like a stud

Shauna said...

mel, it looks like you guys have been having tons of fun out there. everytime i see owen on here i just can't believe how cute and grown up he is. watching them grow is so bitter sweet isn't it? not much new around here to report; just halloween festivities in full swing..i'll call soon. love ya

Aimee's Family Journal said...

It is so hard ot see him venture out! Sometimes I am not sure if I want noah to hug tight to my leg all day, or be independent! Go Owen! As he says to me each Thursday, "I am a big boy with a 1 strap backpack, that goes accross my chest."

Gpa and Gma Adams said...

Enjoy! Dont Blink.....

Tara said...

He sure does look grown up from his 4 year old picture. They grow way to fast. My oldest is almost 10and I can't believe it. That is great that he is riding with no training wheels though. He looks so cute. It's amazing how early they start caring about what kind of clothes and shoes they have to have and certain brands.

Anonymous said...

What a big boy!

side note for Stewart...22 inches really? :)