Monday, August 4, 2008

1st Day of Kindergarten

Dear Owen,

Today is a very exciting but bitter sweet day. Today you joined the world of Kindergarten. Many years ago your Dad would joke and say that on your first day of school he would have to stay home to make sure I actually took you, well guess what he did. He knew how hard it would be for me to let you go. You have been my little sidekick for almost 5 years. Today your Mom cried like it was the end of the world. I couldn't sleep last night worrying I didn't teach you enough, play with you enough, or love you enough. When you woke up this morning you were so excited, school was all you could talk about. I teased you and told you I was going to go to school in your back pack, you quickly corrected me and told me I was too big. When we got to school you told me I could walk you in, but then I had to leave, so that is what I did. I left you there sitting at your desk with the biggest smile on your face. As I turned the corner I couldn't help but cry. I cant believe my baby is not a baby anymore. I am so proud of you and am excited for you to be in school. Don't get me wrong I will miss you crazy bad, I will miss you asking me 100 times for a snack, or to put on a new movie, is it possible for me to miss that? You asked me if I thought Ethan would cry when you left for school? Ethan will probably walk around the house yelling your name all day, when its time for you to come home we will be sooo happy to see you. Thank you for being such a sweet, smart, loving little boy. Good luck at school son and remember who you are. :)

I love you very much,

Mom


11 comments:

bekki said...

Are you still crying? It is so sad when they leave for school. My heart goes out to you. I'm shocked that Owen let you take a picture of him at his desk.

Tara said...

My girls started today too. And it was so sad to see my little Sydney starting Kindergarten. I still just think she is so little. She had a lot of fun though. I guess when they get to 4th grade though they are too good for pictures because I tried to take a picture of Shayla sitting at her desk and she just covered her face and was so embarrased that I was even standing in her classroom.

Lynsey said...

What a BIG boy, he looks very handsome with his Diego back pack!! What a big day Owen, I hope you had fun!!
So how long did you sit in the parking lot with your binoculars??haha

Shauna said...

ahhhh, i don't even want to think about how hard that must be. i can't even imagine. you'll hear me crying soon enough though...maddie starts preschool next month which will be enough for me right there. keep your chin up though...he's ready, and soon enough you'll LOVE the break. love ya

Aimee's Family Journal said...

WASN'T TODAY JUST NUTS???!! I am so proud of us. I didn't realize you saw me there? I got Noah and Owen together on my blog. They looked so cute!

Anonymous said...

How sweet to write a letter to Owen! I'm gonna steal that idea! Anyway, thanks for getting me all teared up with it! Ezra starts his first year of all day tomorrow and I'm gonna miss him too! I can't imagine what Kian's going to do. Don't be surprised if I end up on your front porch in a crying, bored, crazy heap. :)

Debbie said...

NO!!!!! I can't believe that Owen can possibly be starting kindergarten. Weren't you just getting married yesterday????? You are such a wonderfully sweet mom!! I love that you wrote him a whole letter on your blog. He will cherish your feelings and heart forever!

Jenni said...

How sad..:( I will be in your shoes next year. But doesn't it feel good to know that you made the right decision? Owen was so ready! You are such a good mom, Mel. You did everything just perfect! ;)

Gpa and Gma Adams said...

OK! You made me cry. Looks like the parting word will be passed on for another generation. "Remember who you are" Love Grandma

Unknown said...

Seriously--I can't stand it. You made me cry!! He looks like such a big kid in that desk. Good luck to you both in your year long journey through Kindergarten. Hold on, it will feel like only minutes before he turns eight and is ready to be baptized. It all goes so fast--glad your cherishing every moment.

Chantal said...

Wow...that is sweet...I almost never get tears when blogging..but man, that was good! Kids grow up so fast. Your a good mom!