Sunday, July 27, 2008

Our Family Campout

(Warning long post)
This last weekend Stewart and I decided to take the kids camping. I am not sure what drug I was on, why would I recommended such a vacation? I am here to tell you Melanie Adams went camping. I am using my maiden name in this because if you know us Adams girls we do NOT camp, unless it is at the Hilton Resort, so you all better be really proud of me for this one. We went to this fun little place outside of Payson that Lawana had told us about. We found this good campsite that backed up to a creek. There was no water in it but lots of rocks, sticks ,trees and dirt for the kids to get dirty in. We set up our tent and was in the process of putting up the canopy when it started raining or should I say POURING for an hour straight. As you can see in the picture below me and the kids ran for the tent and left Stewart standing there holding the canopy up. I knew eventually his arms would get tired and he would join us, mean to leave him maybe but it made for a funny picture

I agree Ethan this sticks. sitting in a tent starring at each other is barrels of fun. At this point I was trying to think of how I could convince Stewart that the Hilton has openings :)

It finally stopped raining and Stewart set out to get the fire started with wet wood. Everything was wet, our camping chairs, food, clothes, bedding you name it, it was soaked. So while Stewart was being a boy scout I decided to take the kids to the creek behind us you know the one with no water. Well that sure changed. The kids were in heaven. They could have stayed in that clean water all night. They splashed and jumped and threw rocks for what felt like forever.

I don't think Ethan left that spot it, he threw one rock after another
I know his outfit is a bit questionable but hey we are camping
Owen jumping and playing
After they about froze to death we got them in clean clothes and set down for dinner. Yes Stewart was a true Boy Scout and made a fire start with wet wood. We cooked foil dinners yummy!
We took the kids on hike or "Adventuring" as Owen would call it.
When it got dark we set on wet camping chairs and roasted marshmellows for smores
Ethan throwing rocks in the fire
Owen was the designated marshmellow roaster. He would cook them for so long they would expand and then fall in the fire he had to have done it a 100 times.
all Ethan wanted was the chocolate and as you can see he fully enjoyed it
About 9:00 we decided we should start putting the kids to sleep. Ethan has never slept anyone but in a crib so we had no idea how he was going to do. To our surprise he laid right down on the air mattress and went right to sleep. He fell asleep before Owen did. We couldn't believe it. I laid there in my wet sleeping bag covered up with my wet blanket thinking how glad I was we weren't at the Hilton. My boys had so much fun playing in the rain and getting dirty and they were both sound asleep what more could a mother ask for. Well all those cozy feelings left at 12:30 am when some idiot decided to set up camp right in front of our tent with his loud diesel truck running and the headlights shinning right into out tent making it light as day and then yelling back and forth to each other like it was 12:30 in the after noon. I couldn't believe it. Have you never heard of Camping Etiquette? Ok I haven't either but seriously there needs to be such a thing. Well of course it woke up my sweet little angel from above and this is what we had on our hands
Ethan wide awake hitting the door on the tent screaming "Get me outta here", or "Owea" (akaOwen). Getting him to go back to sleep was out of the question. Every time we tried he would totally freak out yelling and crying.
Yes, Owen slept through the whole thing. I don't know how he did, it must be because his brothers voice is so soft and quiet!! yeah right I am sure everyone else at the camp site was cussing us out. So after about an hour of trying to get him to sleep we realized it wasn't going to happen, so we packed up camp in the middle of the night with flashlight lights and went home. It was a race with the sun. We knew we had to get home before the sun came out or the kids wouldn't go back to sleep.

So I am sure you are all wondering if I would do it again? Of course I am a Jones and the Jones' camp. I really did have a good time. It was fun to be as a family with no cell phones no computers becoming one with nature :) Plus what great memories we made.
Do I deserve the Mother of the Year Award or what!!!

16 comments:

Jen & Blake said...

way to brave the elements! good times to remember forever. what a jerk that came at midnight. You should have done something to his camp on your way out:~

Melanie said...

Jen-
We did I yelled out the window "thanks for shinning your lights at our tent and waking up our kids, you Idiot". The whole way home Owen kept saying, "mom next time we go camping I dont think we should camp next to the idiot, or why did the Idiot wake us up?" so we quickly had to change the word to the mean guy :)

Lynsey said...

Sounds like a great camping trip haha!
The kiddos do look like they are having fun, so for that I give you the mother of the year award!!

Nice chair Stewart, your butt had to of hurt after sitting on that. If you sat on it the other way you might of had a problem:)

Gpa and Gma Adams said...

Ok Melanie you can be a trader and be a JONES if you want. I still prefer the Hilton or Camp Overgaard. Running water and not the kind that goes threw your tent. Lights and not the kind that comes from mean guys. Looks like you all had fun. Your such a good MOM.
Love, Mom

Tara said...

Looks like you had a fun time! I think I would go to the cabin next time. He He!! I'm not much of a camper either. I don't really like to sleep in a tent. We do need to take our girls though. You guys do fun stuff and I feel like we are so boring and never take our girls anywhere. We are such mean parents.

Kristen said...

Melanie...That is a great story. Sounds like you had a great time. I love camping but I don't know that I am daring enough to take the kids. We do have a weekend camping trip coming up here in the next couple of weeks so I will have to let you know how it goes. Maybe I can steal that "mom of the year award" from you!! I am so glad we are reconnected I have totally missed you!!! Next time you are in UTAH you better let me know!

bekki said...

I am dying with laughter.Only if I could have been a fly on the wall. I'm very proud of you for going camping maybe next time you can take a trailer that is dry.

Clint said...

Great job, Melanie... It's all about the kids. That's what it was like for me. I'm here because my kids are loving it like no other. If it was me, I'd be at the Hilton too!!!

Amber said...

Kudos to you for even going camping :-) You should have stayed and let Ethan scream all night. It would have served those other people right :-) At least you got to get out of the heat for a little bit huh!

Jenni said...

That's hilarious...I think the Hilton is where it's at, too. But, look at the memories your kids will have...they don't remember the idiot guy, they remember the stuff that us moms think is crazy - like getting down and dirty! Love this post!

Anonymous said...

What a trooper! If the rain started pouring while I was setting up camp I would force Brig to take everything down and go home. I don't do well with mud and mess. You are the hero of the weekend Melanie! It looks like your boys had a blast and Stewart keeps proving what an angel he is for putting up with all your antics! :) And yes, there should be camping etiquette. I am pretty sure I would have schooled the jerk with the loud truck on it right then and there!

Shauna said...

what!!!!! you went home in the middle of night over a little "ethan being awake in the middle of night." you seriously can't call yourself a camper just yet. too funny though, i can just see the whole thing going down...sounds just like my luck.
PS. doesn't it like hardly ever rain there? figures. love ya

Shauna said...

what!!!!! you went home in the middle of night over a little "ethan being awake in the middle of night." you seriously can't call yourself a camper just yet. too funny though, i can just see the whole thing going down...sounds just like my luck.
PS. doesn't it like hardly ever rain there? figures. love ya

Aimee's Family Journal said...

I am laughing so hard a Stewarts face in that picture. Ethan wanting out, and Stewart probly just hoping that someone would shoot him!! Regardless, there were some memories made!

Melanie said...

Shauna,
In my own defense you have never met my loud mouth Ethan. Trust me if we didnt take him home someone would have killed the poor kid cuz he wouldnt stop screaming. give me alittle credit here I wouldnt have been cought dead camping in provo at least now I gave it a try and I will be doing it again

Muche said...

yeah, you know, you go camping and I go to the beach in Florida, that's how Mercedes poeple are!