Thursday, November 27, 2008

What an Experience

Back in July a girl I use to work with lost her sweet little girl Kamber to a tragic accident. She got a group of people together to run the Turkey Trot in Kamber's memory. She had the cutest shirts made as well. I have never done any type of run before but I couldn't turn down what turned out to be such a great experience for such a great family. So I took one for the team and signed up.
I was really excited to be doing this with my sister as well but also very nervous because I am not a runner and my sister is. I have been running in the mornings with Ethan to prepare but nothing major. I had the best experience, it is amazing the thoughts and emotions you go through when you are running.
Here are a few of mine:
Mile 1: Got run over by some stupid women stroller driver
Mile 2: Saw the most inspiring man running with a prosthetic leg
Mile 3: Got tripped by yet another stupid women dog driver
Mile 4: I was running past my car and was contemplating jumping in it and not looking back until I saw the cutest little family it was Kamber's Dad and sisters hurrying to meet Jen at the finish line. It brought tears to my eyes and gave me a much need reminder of why I was there and who I was doing this for.
Mile 5: Contemplated playing in oncoming traffic
Mile 6: The longest mile of my life, It felt like it went on forever.
Finish: Such a rewarding feeling of accomplishment, with the thought of "Am I going to be able to walk tomorrow"? going through my head.
The over all experience was amazing, I would do it again in a heart beat. I am so glad I was able to do it and do it in Kambers memory, what a special day it was.
Here is my proof that I actually did is since some knuckle head stole my Turkey Trot shirt, I mean seriously who does that especially on Thanksgiving. Oh well I have the memories and those will last a whole lot longer.
Thanks again Jen for putting this together and for being such a great example of strength to all of us. I am sure Kamber was jumping with joy seeing you run for her today.
Thank you Lynsey for convincing me to go even though you kicked my butt :)
So I am sure you are all wondering what my time was, well its none of your business :) j/k
My goal was to finish in 1hour and 30 mins. and I finished in 1 hour 24 mins. so I met my goal :) For all of you crazy runners laughing at my time, I never claimed to be a great runner
So any one up for the London Run?
Thanksgiving was great this year. I have so much to be thankful for but most importantly my husband, boys and our health :)

10 comments:

bekki said...

so you had a few road bumps stupid stroller and dog I am so proud of you and your biggest fan way to go.

I can't wait for london's run. We notice I put we will need to start running now so I will be ready.

Lynsey said...

Way to go sista, you did GREAT!!! I wish I would have been running next to you, just for entertainment!!! Im glad we did the run, it was really neat running with a cause not just another boring run:)

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Aren't you so proud of the great shape you have gotten yourself in? It is so tough to pursue something like that! You rock Mel. I hate stroller moms sometimes. I swear their brains are in another world sometimes.

Taya said...

What a great way to spend some of your Thanksgiving Day!!! Congrats on meeting your goal! Your friends strength after losing a child to an accident is inspiring for sure. I read some of her blog on your sidebar a couple months ago(you know you all blog hop!) and was in tears. I'm glad we know what we do as Latter Day Saints! They are a very cute family!

keepingupwiththewootans said...

Ok so Im pissed I didn't see you at the Trot. I walked it because I got sick on Mon. and have been on an antibiotic, but heck you beat me by 4 min. I am so glad you ran it. Good for you. Candi

Julie said...

Wow - that's awesome! I don't think I've ever run 6 miles at once before. By the way, I think and hour 1/2 is pretty good! Way to go Mel.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Melanie! I am so impressed! I owe you a big time high five! :)

Gray Family said...

Way to go! I totally admire runners. I don't know how you do it. Cyber High Five!

Amber said...

That's awesome. I would have given up after the first 2 blocks :)

Debbie said...

Melanie:
I sure hope it wasn't Annie that almost ran you over with her stroller. We were supposed to have the kids while she ran the 10K (we opted for the 2 mile Fun? run.) Anyway, she was late and got started last and was already running with the kids when we met up with her but she decided to take the kids along. She very well could have been your meandering jogger! Anyway, congrats on your run. That was so great that you did it!